taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Ever feel stuck like a duct duck? (Joseph continued)


I'm writing from my parent's house in Oregon this week, so things may appear disjointed a bit! We have been so enjoyed visiting my brother and sister-in-law this week as we are celebrating the birth of their son, Ben! VERY EXCiTING! So we continue on with the conclusion of the story of Joseph....I have been learning so much from this study and I hope you have been, too. Please continue to comment as I am encouraged and learn more from others!
Joseph has now revealed himself to his brothers and has begun to prepare a place in Egypt for his extended family. I am amazed at the parallels between the life of Jesus and our buddy Joseph. It is like an Old Testament example of Christ. Although it is not nearly as meaningful and life-changing as the life of Christ...it certainly shows us that God REALLY wants us to know that with Him, all things are possible and He REALLY does have our best interests at heart! Let's focus on those parallels, shall we? I am just recapping previous posts, so if you want Scripture references just refer to the story references below. Okay...
Joseph's very own brothers rejected him ......Jesus was denied by his followers (by Peter) and Crucified by his own people (the Jews). Joseph was sold into slavery for 20 sheckels of silver....Jesus was given over to the Roman guard by Judas for 30 sheckels of silver (the price of a slave). Joseph suffered greatly and unjustly at the hands of those who hated him....Jesus suffered immensely being beaten and crucified for no crime. Joseph had to suffer so that he could save many lives in Egypt during the famine, inluding his own family....Jesus had to die so that we could be forgiven.........reconciled with God. Joseph had to test his brothers to see if their hearts had changed before God. Jesus tests us today! Joseph was exalted to a place of authority when he least expected it....Jesus rose again after three days in a tomb to be exalted to the right hand of the throne of God. Joseph prepared a place for his family in Egypt...Jesus is preparing a place for His family, too! Right now as we read! Joseph forgave his brothers when they repented and told them not to be angry at themselves....Jesus has forgiven all of us and desires for us to walk in a place of confidence before His throne because He sees us as pure children. We have been washed by His cleansing blood.
Lots of parallels! What does this mean for us? Well, Joseph was not this amazing person, but he was given the grace of God to act righteously in the face of injustice and the temptation of sin. God is so faithful. Joseph identified with Christ and is an example for us as how to endure some of life's greatest challenges. I have an area of my life that has caused some intense pain and suffering....But I am trying to always remember the promises of God! He will always fulfill them! How are you identifying with Christ lately? And what is your reaction? I'll get real honest right now....see if anyone is really reading this blog.....God has given me a dream and a vision for my husband and I. We know God is going to give us children one day. We have been 'kinda' trying for a baby for the last 4 years or so. Health issues have made things more difficult and seemingly impossible for our dream and the vision the Lord has given us to come true. And every month, my cycle (the girly one) is late or doesn't arrive at all leaving me wondering if I need to take a pregnancy test just to make sure. And every month the negative sign shows up or 'maybe' the period comes. Lately, everyone I know, including family members, have been pregnant....and before each one found out, the Lord told me a few days before it was announced. Seriously! The Lord would show me who'd be pregnant and the following week or sometimes the following day, the person would announce their pregnancy! What was God doing? And now the babies are coming and I am filled with such joy and excitement as I am able to hold them and whisper 'Jesus loves you' into their little bitty ears. And such a deep sorrow fills the very core of my being at the very same time.
People who know about the pain encourage to continue to believe that it will happen someday, but it brings little comfort and sometimes even makes me feel stupid of guilty for even giving the impression that I need to be comforted. I don't like people feeling sorry for me and I rehearse all the Bible verses about the joy of the barren woman and the amazing stories about the Lord opening the womb of so many women and it just fills me with more pain and very little comfort. BUT GOD! I know His plans are higher than mine and He knows what He is doing. Therefore, I press on and ask Him how I can be a blessing and not fall into self-pity and He says to serve. That's when I try to serve the very ones that bring on the most pain.....the pregnant women who complain about every pain and ache they get. Little do they know that I have felt those same pains without any reward following them...but after 9 months, they have child. But, just like Joseph, I see my circumstance as unjust....as emotional sufferiong and I can view it as identifying with Christ and learn all I can from the process and jouney I am on, or I can separate myself from all my pregnant friends and wallow in pity. Mmmmm. It is a daily sacrifice and every time my period comes, for one whole day my hearts feels so much pain it just might burst...like the death of a dream, but His mercies are new every morning and I ask Him once again for hope and the faith to believe His promise. He is so faithful! Stay tuned!
PS. I LOVED HOLDING MY NEPHEW THIS WEEK!

2 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Bethany,
Your honesty, vulnerability and transperancy are awesome. I know that BUT GOD part for sure. It is such a journey of hills (the place where it seems easier to declare BUT GOD IS FAITHFUL) and valleys (the place where all that comes out of the depths of your soul is BUT GOD I HURT). Your study of Joseph has blessed me and has enabled me to see God's hand in some of my circumstances. Let's keep being real, and honest and continue supporting each other as we walk in the truth that we are not alone, BUT GOD is with us! This journey is not about easy answers, it is about embracing the mystery and love that is so much a part of the creator of the universe and our little lives.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Thanks for the comments, guys! Heidi..you are a dear friend.

Jessica...we'll be home! Come on over! We'll have some pumpkin beer! ;p

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home