taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Ahhhh, God's best is ALWAYS best!


So I have the best husband. No really, I do! I was thinking about this passage as I came across it today......
1 Peter 3:7 (The Message)
"The same goes for you husbands: Be good husbands to your wives. Honor them, delight in them. As women they lack some of your advantages. But in the new life of God's grace, you're equals. Treat your wives, then, as equals so your prayers don't run aground."
And I thought.....wow! I should ask my husband to pray more! He's like the best husband ever.....who knows what blessings lay waiting for us in God's storehouse if Tim would ask more!? In all seriousness, though...Tim really blesses me. One of the dearest things he has shared with me recently is that the first thing he does when he wakes up in the morning is pray and ask the Lord to show him what he can do to bless his wife today. Wow.
What's even more amazing about this is that he really does bless me daily! I am humbled.
It's not that we don't have any problems or that we never argue, but over the last four years of marriage, he has made it his mission to find out how to bless me and I have made it mine to honor him. It makes the arguments less heated, the problems less chaotic and gives our home a true peace that nothing material can fabricate. It's God.
What I really love about this 1 Peter passage is that he says to treat 'your' wife as 'your' equal because she equally shares in the new life of God's grace. This is an area that we need growth in, but have learned so much about. One of the things that blesses me the most about Tim's way of honoring me is that he is not afraid to ask me what I think. Now, it used to be that he would hear what I thought regardless of whether he wanted to hear it or not! But God has really worked on me about shutting up and really listening to him before making a comment or judgement. In return, he always asks and that just makes me burst with security and the feeling of being cherished....to know that he actually wants to know my opinion! Ahhh.
I could go on and on about all this, but really what it comes down to is when Tim looks to God to 'figure out' his wife.....it works and creates a cohesive partnership where I feel secure in his love and loyalty to submit fully to what he sees as God's best. Afterall, before we got engaged, he told me that HE was God's best for me and I believed him and.......he was right!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this one, Bethany. Makes us feel good to know you are happy and Tim is good to you. That's the prayer of our heart for our kids. That they are in the center of God's will and happy with their mates. Yeh! God!
Love you guys,
MOM

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home