taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Friday, November 10, 2006

"The rest of the story...so far....(Part 3)

This picture was taken by Tim at a nearby park....it's of our friends' 2 year-old. He's precious. But it reminded me that nothing is impossible with God...this 2 year-old may be small and the basketball hoop super tall, but with God we can grow to tackle any battle....score ANY goal. And now back to the story......

So what do you think Tim said??...... after I shared my guts...poured them out on the table....the table covered in budget papers....he said, "Sure, when do we go and how much do we need?"

"Uhhhhm....really? You're okay with this?" I said. The only question he had was, "Umm, what am I gonna do there while you're in school?"

I hadn't thought that far ahead, other than to think about him doing more photography, but somehow ideas flooded my head....definitely GOD! I told him that I thought he could work with Impact Nations (the ministry we went to the Dominican with) planning and ministering with them...that he could teach music lessons to children in the area and maybe work in area churches doing what he loves...worship!....these were just ideas, of course.

But Tim caught the vision, too, and said, "Well, we should probably call Naomi and Chad and see if they wanna come over for dinner tomorrow night, eh?" Oh, wow this was going FAST!

So we phoned them and they were ecstatic to come over....and they did come over that Tuesday night for 7 hours! We talked about the dreams and visions God had placed in us early in life and how we believed that God was knitting our hearts together already for a distinct purpose. They even suggested we apply together and go with them to the Philippines! They began to share how they thought the four of us could open safe birthing centers in the third world after getting our degrees and how Chad and Tim could use their talents to bless others and make connections for long-term fundraising! It was just sooo God. Every bit of it was encouraging and exhorting. We were fully blessed that God would bring us this amazing couple as friends, co-workers, and mentors in a whole new journey of our life. He is so faithful!

I then found out that Naomi was an experienced doula (one who cares for women during pregnancy) and she is a WEALTH of information on the subject. She passed books my way and got me started on some classes at a local college to get some experience and prep for our trip. I started to get excited....REALLY excited. Tim was, too!

Then I had to get the application in. I found out that the school only accepts 15 students per semester and that I needed to get my papers in quick to make sure I got a spot.... It was Thursday and the kids were arriving at 4 pm. I was pretty concerned that I wouldn't be able to finish the application before the children arrived. The application was full of essays and I needed to get passport photos done and reference letters sent. But then God showed up and by 4 pm, the application was done and sent off, the reference letters finished and the passport pictures pending. Whoa! I was humbled. God did it all!

And then I got sick. Almost immediately after the application was sent, my head began to ache, my throat became sore and the children arrived. "Great." I thought. But then something occurred to me....I was sick because satan was just trying to get me frustrated and distracted from the faithfulness God had shown to me. The next 5 days were grueling...a sinus infection and a really rough weekend with the kids. Seemed like satan was pinching them and telling them how to be naughty because that weekend stunk!

BUT, the presence of God was still cutting through the poo and Tim and I still felt His peace. We recognized that as we continued to step out in faith, satan was going to be right there ready to send his fiery darts our way to discourage, distract, and debilitate us. But it is so nice to know that God has already overcome the world and the darkness of satan. (John 16:33"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.") There is nothing satan can or will do that hasn't already been filtered through God gracious hands. Nothing can stop God's plans! That is soooo encouraging.

As we wait for acceptance from the school, Tim and I are slowly beginning to wrap our brains around the fact that we may very well be without a home country for many years and that we may never again have a home to ourselves. We'll see what God does. But it certainly has made this holiday season far more special.....I've already started putting up Christmas decorations! (much to Tim's demise.....but we found out that in the Philippines, the Christmas season begins in OCTOBER!! I am feeling at home already!)

The times with family have already been more meaningful and the plans have brought a strong sense of purpose to most of our conversations. Mmmmm. Interesting and convicting. There is so much rolling around in my head that perhaps bits and pieces will fall into future posts. That's the gist of the story for now. I will keep you posted! If you wanna visit the school's site, it's http://www.midwifeschool.org/Home.htm.

Beware...when God gives you a good thought....satan is right there ready to give you two bad ones, but remember that God has already overcome satan....HE IS VICTORIOUS and has called you to be the same! (1 John 5:4-6) With Him in YOU, what can satan do!? 2 Corinthians 13:4-6 says, "For to be sure, he was crucified in weakness, yet he lives by God's power. Likewise, we are weak in him, yet by God's power we will live with him to serve you. Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test." (Gal. 2:20 is also good...read that, too!)

Take heart and live in victory....you cannot fail! Amen.

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

wow - amazing. Thank you for sharing! We have some family friends who are missionaries at a seminary in the Phillipines (my dad has been there twice to help with construction on the school and loved it there!) I'd love to connect you with them so you can start to get a better picture of what to expect with life there.

Let me know if you'd be interested in that. They've been there for almost 20 years.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Yeah, Heather! Drop me a line! How are you????

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved hearing the story . . . again! Guess what! My niece, Beth, has also looked into that school of midwifery - but got cold feet about going so far from home. She's really keen to meet you and will be coming to church with us tomorrow!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Lydia said...

Awesome story Bethany. I am so excited for you and Tim. What a wonderful adventure to take on together, as God leads the way.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home