taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

"Upon reflection I........"


am discovering how God is using this blog to hit me over the head! I started reading past blogs after saving them to my hard drive (an idea mom gave me for posterity purposes) and was hit with the fact that the very things I write about and think that somehow I have dealt with, still tempt me and cause me to stumble! Growing pains.....

I guess I should explain the picture...Tim and I went to a pumpkin patch that not only grew pumpkins, but artichokes, too! Ya ever see an artichoke flower! They're purple!!! No kidding...this one is almost ready to burst forth with a beautiful flower, but notice the many layers? These veggies open VERY slowly, layer by layer and only at the very end of the blooming does the flower appear. Pretty amazing veggie! I often feel like God is opening me up layer by layer....and the more He opens me up, the closer I get to bearing fruit...or flower. The more I allow Him to pry open my petals, the prettier the Lord seems to become in me...on the inside...that's where the beauty lies. But so often I settle with the not-so-pretty-closed-tight outside because of fear or intimidation. But God still lovingly pries me open....to reveal more of Himself....His beauty within me. Whoa.

I think He is using this blogging thing to do that. Just today I was struggling with wondering how God was going to provide something very BIG and specific and then I read about Joseph from a previous blog and was humbled. Oh, I have come full circle! Again needing to trust God in the very same way I struggled with way back in March of this year....you'd think I'd GET it. But that is the very nature of life...we repeat things we don't wanna do over and over again, but God's grace is soooo sufficient and He gives us gentle reminders of how far we've come and yet, how much we need Him to take us further. Is God using a re-run episode of your life to help you bloom? He is me! Be blessed. The story of my life... Romans 7: 14-25:

14"We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do, this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God, —through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin."

3 Comments:

Blogger Esul... morning dew said...

Dearest Bethany...it has been too long since I checked/read/blogged! I have been home now two weeks and still can't seem to figure out where I am.... but I WOULD LOVE TO VISIT YOU! (Maybe stroll around Stanley Park with a Maple latte as you suggested in a previous blog???? YUMMMMMM!)
Please email me your phone number and a good time to call and we can hopefully arrange something within the next couple weeks :)
Rachel.Martens@gmail.com

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bethany,
Paul sounds alot like he's in menopause too. I realize the condition he's speaking of is applicable to all of us, but I sure am felling it more these days. I attribute it to menopause, but sin is probably still the root. "Oh what a wretched woman I am!" By the way, I have already had two Maple Lattes from Starbucks since your mention of it. Wish I had enjoyed them with you...:(
MOM

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bethany,

Had a good time with you & Tim yesterday.

So, as I breifly mentioned, I spent several weeks reading this passage over and over - trying to figur it out and how to apply it. What I came up with after all this study/meditating was that Paul is just like me (or vice-versa whatever that means in french). The things I want to do I don't do and the things I don't want to do I do.

Fortunately, this is more like the proverbial toilet seat (to put it in terms you may appreciate)- up & down, up and down, up and down, down & up, down & up! I guess what i am trying to say - if you haven't understood my analogy - is that sometime this is true for me & sometimes it isn't. Often, I actually do the things that I want to do, and often I don't do the tings that I don't want to do. But, it is unpredictable.

If you are confused by everything that I jus said, then that may be a good thing. I am trying to figure out whether I was trying to confuse you and didn't or whether I was trying to clarify stuff but confused you.

No matter!

We love you, and . . . .

unklrbrt

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home