taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Thanksgiving already???


Ya know, Canadians are strange..."Thanksgiving in October? You can't have it BEFORE Halloween!" That's what I THOUGHT before I heard the real explanation of why this "American Holiday" is celebrated in this sometimes "anti-American" country I live in.....the simple explanation is that Canada USED to be a far more "Christian" country and desired to give thanks to God for the bountiful harvest....the trouble was, the harvest was collected from late August to early November.... "why?", you ask....because our winter comes sooner than yours! That's why.

What's even better is that we actually have time to digest the Thanksgiving meal BEFORE the Christmas meal whereas in the US, Christmas and Thanksgiving mean severe weight gain and neverending leftovers. Don't get me wrong, I love my American Thanksgiving memories....at least in the US you can get decent decorations! Anyways, yesterday was the Canadian day of thanks and I thanked the Lord for a successful Thanksgiving party of 16 people. We had a gas and all the food was hot and ready at the same time! That's a first! Our house was crowded, but joyful and everyone got to take home some leftovers! A great end to a very busy week and a great beginning to our favorite time of year....FALL!

Yes, Tim and I LOVE FALL! The kids are back at school (YEAH), the weather cools down, everything is picturesque, and drinking a maple latte while walking around Stanley Park is a blessing few can compare to. It is also the time when the craziness of the coming holidays haven't set in yet.

This picture was taken when we took our girls to the pumpkin patch out in Delta, BC. We were more interested in the smashed pumpkins than the really nice round ones. Ya know, pumpkins deflate!? Take a look at Tim's blog and you'll know what I mean! They had some great ones! I'll post more later as I think there are some God-given lessons to deflated pumpkins....stay-tuned! But for now, Happy Canadian Thanksgiving and do take some time to enjoy this incredible gift of Autumn. Take a walk. Be blessed.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bethany,

While Thanks giving is still upon us (or within us). - just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you & Tim for including us in you celebration yesterday and for making room for us in your lives.

We are so thankful for the two of you.

And, I have so mush more to say . . . . . . .

I should probably stop now before it gets to mushy.

Lots of Love!

unklrbrt

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know . . . what he said. You have become very dear to us and we are blessed to have you for our friends.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That anonymous was me. I've just read your blog about the smaller plate. . . How did that smash-up fabulous thanksgiving celebration fit on it?! I guess it must have been a labour of love.

Your plate must still be a lot bigger than mine ever was. You are an amazingly creative and thoughtful woman!

Love,

Antsylv

8:38 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Oh my dear friends! Thank you for your comments...the anonymous didn't fool me, Aunt Syl! You guys are such an encouragement to me and I am very blessed to know you....thanks for moving to Vancouver...I think it was for ME! See you soon!

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bethany,
I'm so glad you had a successful Thanksgiving meal! I think as long as everyone truly is thankful, it's a success. Sounds like they were. I am very proud you (but you already know that). I'm thankful for you too.
Love ya,
MOM

12:42 PM  
Blogger Sean Carter said...

Hey guys check out this awesome Thanksgiving Blog it's filled with awesome humour and fun!!!!!

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home