taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Sliding into the 'great unknown'..........


This last weekend, the boys used all the blankets and pillows, bean bags and cushions to make a MONSTER slide. Using an old lettuce cardboard box with a pillow on the bottom, they created a 'bobsled' to slide down the stairs into a mound of soft fluff.

Genius.

Sorry I can't show you the faces of our boys as they flew into the pile of linens, but the look on their faces was one of terror and joy....PURE JOY! They made me laugh. You could hear their screams and giggles throughout the entire house....and the remnants of their adventure lingered on my white walls with the art of sweaty hand prints and black-sock marks....lovely.

But I have to say, I was impressed with their creativity and ability to get over the fear of bashing their head into the stair railing (which happened once or twice...no tears, just some bruised pride) :)

But something else hit me....despite their slight hesitation climbing into their 'bobsled' and the terror on their faces, they scooted their bums off the edge and AWAY they flew with joy. Perhaps they felt safe with Tim and I standing just a few feet away...knowing that if anything happened to them, we'd come running....or be sued! Or maybe it was their subconscious thoughts saying that the adventure of the slide far outweighed the scary risk of bashing their heads open. Mmmmm.

That's like us when God calls us out....when He gives us an open door to our dreams and destiny, we have a very real choice to hesitate and back away or press in and scoot off the edge into the full trust and faithfulness of a God who carries us. That's how I feel about moving overseas....a huge risk...I am full of joy....and terror. Yet, He stands behind me and in front of me...there to carry me as I take off into the unknown.

Even this week, God gave me another encouragement in the risky journey by setting up a time when Tim and I are down in Oregon for Thanksgiving to meet with the director of the Newlife International School of Midwifery! She just happens to be in the area at the same time! PRAISE GOD! I am humbled by His faithfulness. He speaks. Whoa. I can trust my faithful, loving God to prepare the path and take joy in the risks. He is good!

Is there anything God is asking you to do (or be) that requires you to "scoot your bum off the edge" into the great unknown? It could be something BIG or small. Don't hesitate...take joy and sail into His destiny! Read this and be encouraged!

Zephaniah 3: 14-17........

"Sing, O Daughter of Zion;
shout aloud, O Israel!
Be glad and rejoice with all your heart,
O Daughter of Jerusalem!

The LORD has taken away your punishment,
he has turned back your enemy.
The LORD, the King of Israel, is with you;
never again will you fear any harm.

On that day they will say to Jerusalem,
"Do not fear, O Zion;
do not let your hands hang limp.

The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."

Be blessed and keep those comments coming! Tell me your risks!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bethany,
Ok, so are you directing this towards me?? I'm too old to be bouncing my "bum" down a staircase.
This whole thing reminds me of a safety cone I have at home that says, "God doesn't promise a smooth flight, only a safe landing." He'll get us there. The way may be bumpy but exciting. I wish I was your age to start over and know all I know now about His character and desire for my life. Yes, I know it's not too late. To quote a fine film while you kids were home, "I'm not dead yet".

3:44 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I love you, mom....and you won't be 'dead' for a long time! I'm glad!

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, it's not too late, "Mom" - Look at me, scooting down the stairs to foreign nations! I hated leaving my comfortable orderly life and I'm not very brave. But I feel more alive than ever.
Just you wait, your time will come.

And Bethany, you amaze me the way you can draw deep spiritual lessons from your daily life. (I was going to say "ordinary life" but your life is never ordinary!)

Bless you!
Sylvia

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home