taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Remembering Easter

This picture is from a cathedral in the Dominican Republic....it's of Jesus being tempted by Satan when He was in the wilderness. It's a reminder to me to press on regardless of my sins.
Oddly enough, remembering Easter is harder to do than it used to be. Other than the kids being off school an extra two days and it being "Easter" according to the calendar, I find myself challenged in remembering the purpose of this day. I remember as a kid being in church Easter programs, choir concerts, having Easter dinner with family, going on outreaches to feed the hungry....all as a thankful tribute to Jesus, the reason Easter exists. His death and resurrection for my salvation, my freedom to be a friend of God, though still meaningful and humbling, fights to share a place in a heart crowded with a plethera of worldly "goods". Today the kids came and colored eggs, soon we will look for the eggs....what purpose does this have...? I tell the kids that the eggs signify that when we are born again, we break out of our shell and become a new creature just like the little chick that comes from the hardened egg. I tell them that when we hide the eggs, we are remembering that when we look for Jesus with our whole heart, He promises that we will find Him...and He has goodies for us in Him.....but even in my own heart, I struggle to honor Him as He is due. I know I can and will never be able to, but just one Easter, I would like to REALLY appreciate with ALL my heart His sacrifice for me. My worldly, human mind can never comprehend it fully, but it aches to....
Just today, a lady from my church (who I rarely see and have never really spoken to) came over very briefly to hand me a package and give me a hug. Inside was a bunch of chocolate Easter eggs and $100. She said that she felt as though the Lord had wanted to use her to tell me that He is thinking and delighting over me today. I was/am deeply touched....I cannot begin to express how humbled I was/am. This is a weekend when I should be giving EVERYTHING I am and have in greatful remembrance to Him and yet, He continues to give to ME! Wow....nothing I could ever do can compare. I owe Him my life and all He asks for is my heart. I want to give Him both.

3 Comments:

Blogger Esul... morning dew said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Esul... morning dew said...

Bethany, this is such a beautiful reflection. I totally forgot that Easter was "on its way" and now, it's late monday nite (for me) and it's all over and it feels like, well, it didn't happen. It's so weird being in a culture that doesn't observe the same holidays, that's driven by other religious philosophies, that's motivated by "work." Hmmmm...so I hear you on what it's like to WANT to remember Easter - that it's not just about good food, easter baskets (all though, I love how you explained the symbolism of the "hunt" to your kids! So good and easy to understand!) - but being so "unfocused" on preparing your heart for this holiday, and for that matter, for your life.
Anyway, I'm so glad that you were able to receive a gift/blessing/encouragement from that lady. You are beautiful and deserve so many great things!
Have a GREAT week!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Mr. P said...

well...I know a way that prepares one for the easter weekend...

every time I eat, I remember that it is coming, I remember that soon, or not so soon, I will taste the joy of the resurrection. For at least 50 days, at least three times a day, likely more, I am thinking about the impending resurrection. fasting as a church like this has really helped prepare us, but its not just the fasting, its also the way the calendar works with the services and how they are called the 1st, second, third etc sundays in lent, knowing that we are getting closer and closer, and the midweek services, it changes your life so that the most present thing is church. the resurrection. fasting takes over your life so that whenever you think about food, you think about easter. and, since we do it in community, and since it is about the spirit of the fast, its okay to start slow, or for me to eat turkey with my family yesterday, for example.

anyways, if you guys have time, or Bethany, if you want to come out and let tim stay with the kids, cause its his turn, you stayed last summer when he came, then come on out. our services are late at night this weekend anyways. friday night vigil reading the psalms, and saturday night Dan is getting baptised, starting at 10 on saturday, and I think 11 on friday. as well, the church is dark and candle lit of course.

anyways. believe me, I am ready for Pascha to be hear, I have been aching for it since the first week of lent.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home