taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Jesus always wears white....?


Allow me to veer off the "heart talk" for a minute or two as something hit me today......

So I was braiding one of our girls' hair today before school and she says, "Have you seen the Da Vinci Code?" Surprised that this would be an interest of our eleven year-old, I said, "Uhm, no, we're waiting for the DVD to come out, why?" She said that she wanted to see it and that she heard that it was made for the Catholic Church. I kinda laughed....Mmmm.

I told her that the movie was not necessarily a film supporting the church and was a poor representation of the Catholic and Christian faiths. She asked, "Why do they talk about Jesus, then?" I said that there are many religions and entertainment writers that talk about Jesus, but that doesn't mean they KNOW Jesus or are even referring to the RIGHT Jesus. She looked a little satisfied and asked, "Is Jesus in the movie?" I thought..."Interesting.....I wonder what she's heard?!" So I asked her..."What do you think?" She said that He probably wasn't in it, but He would have to be wearing white! I chuckled. "If there is a Jesus in the film, it would have to be played by an actor....why white?" I asked. She said, "Because Jesus is ALWAYS in white...that's how we know it's Him!...DUH!" I had to laugh at the "DUH" part. I then told her that Jesus was a carpenter and asked if she knew any construction workers.....did they always wear white while they were working? She shook her head. I asked her what she thought they wear....she said, "dirty clothes?" I smiled.
Yeah, carpenters wear clothes they can get dirty.....Jesus was probably dirty often....smelly, sweaty and Isaiah 53 :2 says that there was nothing desirable about His looks, either. She was shocked! So did Jesus always wear white? Our girl was convinced that He could wear whatever He wanted.
Striking that a child could recognize the sanctity of Jesus...the fact that He is set apart from all others and yet have very little concept of the fact that He came to earth fully human. I struggle with that, too. Yeah, His heart was pure like a white garment, but His appearance had to have been rough. The Bible tells us so.

I don't know about you, but I CANNOT STAND B.O. It's AWFUL! BUT.....Jesus may have had intense B.O.....He may have been sweaty most of the time...what about bad teeth, bad breath, dirty clothing most of the time.....HE COULD HAVE!! If I had a chance to visit Jesus' era when He was on earth and He wasn't wearing white and smelling of the flowers He created, would I recognize Him? Would I want to be around Him if He was 3 feet away from me strutting the stench of B.O. so bad my nosehairs fell out? Mmmm. Humbling thought. Would I still desire Him? Kids have a funny way of bringing me to my knees. I think I need to evaluate the assumptions I have about my Jesus and remember that God sent His only Son, Jesus, to MY level when He came to earth because He wanted to spend time with me and my rancid stench. Wow. I feel a bit of grace coming for B.O.!! Mmmm.

9 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Nice post Bethany. Kids sure know how to keep it simple, eh? Definitely something to reflect upon...

3:01 PM  
Blogger Esul... morning dew said...

Bethany, this is a GREAT blog! Your life is so rich and full of growth and challenges it seems :)
It's so ironic, I just read in a book this week about our "American" creation of Jesus, when in fact He, while on earth, was probably just as you described - smelly, dirty, nothing special to look at - certainly no "eye candy!"
It was really a slap in the face to read about this, because how many people do I know that are smelly, dirty, etc, etc... how many people like this do I assosciate with? Kind of scary when you think about Jesus return... would I go to Him, or would my "hygenic expectations" keep me at a distance?
Another cool thing was that I got to have this really great discussion about "The Da Vinci Code" in one of my middle school classes yesterday! They are soooooo willing to listen to what I have to say and they really seem to enjoy thinking about harder, more complex, issues - which is so GREAT because not only are they thinking about more meaningful things in life, but they can do this, and express their opinions in English! I talked a lot about the bible and Jesus with them - afraid that they might say something against Jesus, but they just kept asking more great questions! How great is that?!
Anyway, I'm sorry it's been so long since I've checked your blog... but I LOVE it that you finally put some pics of you on it! You're so beautiful!
Have a great day, Bethany! And thank you for your great words on your blog...it's a treat to read your thoughts!

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bethany,

Arrived home today & have been catching up. Love reading your stuff - We agree with grandma Thel, you are a gifted writer. Such great descriptive word-pictures & REAL, not nicey-nicey words! You make it easy to see & UNDERSTAND STUFF.

See you guys soon - we hope.

unklrbrt&antsylv

9:45 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I am sooo encouraged, guys! Thank you for your comments! I am here in Oregon with my family, so I will post again very soon! I am sooo blessed by your words!Thank you!

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your daughter may have been referring to Jesus wearing white, seeing as He is now in glory. The glorified Jesus.

As for B.O., the woman with the issue of blood had no problem getting to Jesus, I don't think He would walk around rancid, people DID bathe back then. Main thing is, He came here to step in our places and is now with the Father and THANK GOD ALMIGHTY, HE'S COMING BACK, AND IN GREAT SPLENDOR! :0)

2:12 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Felicia...I think you missed the point...it's basically a test of how we treat each other...not a debate on whether Jesus smelled bad or not. They also had myrrh and frankincense and no doubt those precious oils made anybody smell good. But Jesus asks us to love our neighbor regardless of their appearance and that is the point I am trying to make.Thank you for your comment.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I read this post (and commented on it) right after you posted it. I thought it was pretty, nicely written, a good idea, a cute sentiment from a small, innocently simple-minded little girl, but I'm not sure that I actually internalized it's message. The next morning, on the bus to work, I encountered some really bad smelling men. They clearly hadn't bathed in days. I started thinking about your post. And then I started asking myself, "what if that guy were Jesus, or what if THAT guy were Jesus?" Ultimately, the way I treat and serve (or don't serve) those people is the way I'm treating Jesus.

Thanks again for the post, B.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I can soooo relate, Heather....that's how I feel about some of the kids we work with in our group home...thanks for the input...it is a challenge for me. ;P

6:31 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Our olfactory expectations have changed with the ready access to private water. I read a novel from the 1890's in which the woman was anticipating the virile scent of her husband when he came home from working in the fields. (And remember that Canada has more fresh-water lakes than the rest of the world combined.) But your spiritual point is right on. Seeing Jesus in "the least of these" transforms the way we look at and deal with humanity. "The Lord God made them all."

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home