taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

One more Dominican photo....i like this one.


We've been having some really nice sunsets in Vancouver lately....this isn't one of them, but Tim has some on his blog.
Are you ever afraid to have a deep desire or dream because you believe that God will not fulfill it? Maybe it's because you have some dark sinful past....a cloud of shame that continues to kick you when you are about to think of the possibilities Jesus may have for you....or maybe you have been promised so much only to have the promises broken...or maybe you just have very little faith in the abilities God has given you to achieve any dream you've had in the past. Although the answer is always, "But God" or "God's timing is perfect", or "He knows the plans He has for you...to give you a future and a hope" (Jeremiah 29:11), I find myself being consistently wary of dreaming. I am a visionary....I can see things as though they ought or could be...I LIKE to dream, to believe the best and anticipate the adventure to come. However, at some point, when the dreams repeatedly do not become reality, I begin to question whether the desire or dream is a result of a life linked with the heart of God, or if it is a selfish pursuit of what I believe to be "God's best" for me.
The hardest part is when the dream or desire often becomes or looks so tangible and within arms reach and yet is snatched away leaving me with questions, a week of disappointment and confusion. Then the question becomes, "Is it worth it even to desire or dream about 'this' or 'that'?" I ask God to remove the pain, remove the desire if it isn't from Him, and then if it is, remove it anyway. I don't want Him to take away the desire just so the pain will subside, but also because I find it distracting and a nuisance to consistently have a dream that is unfulfilled. The frustration of wondering if the desire is from God or from flesh is also painful.....Yet, I still continue to dream. After many broken hearts and deep longings, the dreams still come without me entertaining them...."But God". He is good ALL the time. His plans are for good and not to disappoint or cause pain. It is to bring His joy and clarity to our dreams. With a heavy heart, that's what I am believing for.

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Bethany,

I don't know out of what frustration or disappointment these words came today but I needed to hear them. Thanks for your honesty - even within such a crazy medium as this - and candor (you always have such a way with those two qualities that I crave in my life). I'm going through this same sort of questioning about various dreams right now.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Thanks, Heather. Like Paso said, "Life is beautiful and hard!". I agree fully! BUT, we DO serve a GOOD God...even when He feels distant or unclear. I've been studying Joseph lately...I think my next entry will be about him. Your comments are encouraging. I miss you. Let's have some comment time in person, kay? :)

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bethany,

Thanks for posting this!

I showed it to my friend (who has been visiting), it hit him right between the eyes. I don't know if he got all of it, but I'm sure some of it stuck.

Don't tell Tim, but I really like your blog - very deep and thought provoking.

Keep up the flow,
cause I'm getting to know,
U.

unklrbrt

5:08 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Hello my friend,
I know that I am a month late but I had a good visit with Papa Bob and Mamma Sylv today and they directed me here. I decided to go back to the beginning so I didn't feel like I was missing out (I hate missing out!). Anyways I just wanted to say you have inspired me to reopen my blog - to start sharing my thoughts because... in the crazy busy world we live in we can talk this way (it is the middle of the night at work). So thanks for this entry I feel like I really can relate and I love your honesty. I think I will touch on this in my blog. Let's hang soon. Luv ya

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home