taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

I'm an alien.....?

Sorry about the photo...I started this entry at my parents' house and this is all they had to upload from their computer and I am finishing it in Canada....but it DOES have some relevance to what I wanted to talk about today.....AND it IS a funny picture....actually, I don't really know how I feel about it....I wish things were THIS light and happy....
So this whole idea of Patriotism has got me thinking. I love the U.S. and I love Canada...I love the Dominican Republic, too. I am a US citizen and I reside permanently in Canada. I have always been aware of the strong patriotic feelings displayed in the US and have grown up with the false security it manufactures, but in Canada, putting up Canadian flags outside every home even on their "independence day" (Canada Day) is an oddity. Pictures of Servicemen in their uniforms on the front page of the newspaper is an oddity....pride in the military and in Canada's history is unusual...at least for this Vancouverite.....Mmmm.
Even as an United States-woman, I feel a teensy-bit barfy at the insane patriotism of my home country. Then I was drinking a Starbucks in my US neighborhood looking at all the 'patriotic' decor of the season...the leftovers from Memorial Day, the setting up for Flag Day and Independence Day. I spied a quote on my culturally current Starbucks cup...it said, "Our Species' survival depends on how fast we embrace the moral shift from "patriot" to "global citizen." (Chris Anderson- Curator of TED, a conference of leading thinkers in technology, entertainment and design.) I nearly spit out my coffee....how did this "unpatriotic" cup get into the US of A? And then something hit me......
Ephesians 2 talks about being aliens to this world and that we have our citizenship in Heaven when we have made Christ our Lord and Saviour....we are "fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God" and as the song goes..."This world is not my home, I'm just a-passing through...my treasures are laid up for me somewhere beyond the blue" (that's the Southern Baptist version...look it up!).....and we are to store up treasures in Heaven.......... Hebrews 11:13-16 is one of my favorite passages because it reminds me that I am and will continue to live in a state of uncomfortable unsettlement because I am searching for a "country whose foundation is the Lord God". That's Heaven. Please do not misunderstand...patriotism is good (as long as it is not laced with arrogance) and it serves to encourage and build up (as long as it doesn't puff-up and divide). I like it. BUT......
What if Christians and Jesus lovers were patriotic for their true home.....Heaven. What if we had a "Salvation Day" or what if we made flags of Heaven (what would THOSE look like?) and hung those from our homes on earth instead of our flags showing our boundaries-"I am American and you are Canadian"....what if we had a day set aside to celebrate the fact that Jesus is preparing a place for us called Heaven where there are no immigration limitations or financial burdens to become a citizen or take refugee status...?? Just a committed and loving relationship with Jesus Christ secures your spot. Heaven is my home and though I have trouble being patriotic for any nation here on earth 'cuz I struggle to understand the boundaries man has made...I long to go to my true home and I'm proud to say where my true citizenship lies. And I don't think Mr. Anderson has it right either...I don't want to be a "global citizen"....too generic and a bit far out there for me. :)
Food for though, though....thank you everyone for the comments..I really appreciate them and they are such an encouragment. You are a blessing more than your know! More to come..........

2 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

Thank you. I was born and reared in Vancouver (and now live in Michigan), but my older brother was born in Salem, Oregon as was my mother. I agree that the attraction of our "lang home" (as the older Scots would sometimes put it), places patriotism in a broader perspective. The Epistle of John expresses very much the transitory nature of this world (he uses the word "cosmos" from which we get cosmetic.) I recall I sermon I heard after the first moon shot (late 1960's). The point was that as the space capsule was returning home, there was a point where the gravitational attraction of earth became stronger than that of the moon and the attention of the astronauts had to be on what mid-course corrections needed to be done to land in the right place. I feel this tension between patriotism and trust in the One who is the Lord of Hosts.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Fraser...thank you for your comment! I enjoyed learning from your great insight! Can't wait to see "the One" in ALL of His glory in our true home. Blessings to you.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home