taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

"We're gonna be good...."

Thank you all for commenting on my blog....I so appreciate it!
This picture is of me and the boys...taking a hike...
So we had them this past weekend....I like them a lot. They are creative and imaginative, always looking for something to build or invent. I love that.

We're able to take these guys to church with us on Sundays and when we go, we have to remind them of the appropriate behavior at church. Ya know...don't set things on fire or unplug the sound system (we DID have one kid do that one time!) and generally say 'please' and 'thank you', 'nice to meet you' is always a plus, too!

What gave me a great, hardy laugh was that one of the boys said, "We'll be REALLY good so we can make all the other parents there jealous that you have such good kids!" Have you ever heard of a kid say something like that!? I said, "Okay". I wasn't about to turn down that offer! But it got me thinking.....what if we (as Christians) all behaved so well to each other that we were able to make others jealous of the self-control, love and peace we had...not to mention our Father's pleasure? For example, sometimes when I work-out at the gym, I get into conversations about my job as a group home operator. Many people say, "WOW, you must have a lot of patience to do a job like that!?" And I reply, "NOT! Ask my mother about that! Patience is not MY natural virtue.....but I have to daily ask Jesus to give me patience and He does. When I try on my own, I always get frustrated!" Perhaps this is an open door to them getting jealous that I don't have to fight myself all the time to be patient, Jesus gives it to me! It has lead to some good conversations. But this is an area I really need help in.

But.....
So often we display the Christian culture as being one that dictates morals and fights against organizations, political parties and social clubs that do not hold those morals. But that's not what Jesus did. His love, compassion and peace is what drew even the "worst sinner" (even thought there isn't such a thing) to Himself. What if we started to focus on that instead of trying to "make a statement" or boycot a certain worldly product? The world doesn't hold our moral code or our Christian ideals....we shouldn't EXPECT them too, we should be teaching them to, but in love, compassion, grace, and in our own lives SELF- CONTROL! (I made that in CAPS because that's my toughest fruit of the Spirit....what's yours?)

Our behaviour should be a magnet to a world that has lost its purpose....people are hungry to see something different and something fully "good"...they are hungry for Jesus in us. Our love for Jesus causes us to desire to be righteous or good and to desire to see others come to a knowledge of Him, too. Those are the reasons for our "goodness" not because we want to look better and superior by having a better moral code. It's all filthy rags anyways (see Isaiah 64:6).

Proverbs 21:21 says, "He who pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity, and honor." That sounds good. That's enough to make the world look at us differently and ask us where we get our "life, prosperity, and honor"....from Jesus who, out of love, we pursue, to imitate Him and His righteousness. I gotta work on that. Lord Jesus, make me a pure and holy imitator of You, to bring others to You and to give You pleasure today, Amen.

Keep the comments coming! I love to read what you think! Thanks!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you!! Thanks for being so tuned-in to the Spirit and for sharing it.
And thanks so much for last Wednesday . . . you have no idea how refreshing our time with you in the park was. Thank you.

~ Rebecca

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great post Bethany. I think that you are right on when you allude to His love and light shining through us in order to draw others towards God. It has recently occurred to me that when we really love another, we cannot stop ourselves from presenting that person in the best light possible - essentially singing his or her praises. Is that not what we do (or should do) with God? “And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit” (2 Co 3:18). In essence, if we posses that kind of love for the Lord ourselves, and in turn are able to accept His for us, we will garner the attentions and curiosity of others (or jealousy, I suppose, depending on their personal need and/or void for the “ultimate thing/person” in their lives). Once they are drawn to the Lord in us, we are free to share our testimony, as you do with the ladies at your gym. It does amaze me to think that even in this aspect of our lives, the Lord essentially does most of the work for us, since it is His light in us, rather than we ourselves, that act as the magnet for those on a search.

Going back to the idea of singing God’s praises now – I think that when we recognize the Lord’s provision, love and blessing in our lives regardless of circumstance, we are able to receive from Him the strength, wisdom and even resources we need to overcome. So, I guess the toughest fruit of the spirit for me would be patience – the patience to sit back and be thankful for all that He has done, is doing and will be accomplishing in my life while I await my miracle. And in the meantime, it’s the praises of my lips for who He is and what he has achieved in my life that draw others towards Him. Basically, because I know He loves me, I can do my best to love others (not nearly as successfully as He does, but still). And as 1 Corinthians 13:13 says “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” The simple fact of the matter is that true love conquers all. It’s God’s love for others that draws them towards Him, and if it happens to take place through me, than I guess I just happen to be in the right place at the right time thanks to his direction and care.

Eeep. I have probably gone way off topic here for far too long, but I’ll post the comment anyway. All this to say Bethany, that your journey with the Lord in electronic form is very encouraging. Keep it up and my apologies for the tangent ;)

~Nishki

4:08 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Thanks, Nishki! YOU should start a blog! You certainly have the insight and the words!Thanks for writing. Really good thoughts. ;p

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

self control - lack thereof!

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home