taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Sometimes Angels ride bicycles!

Thanks for the comments, friends! They are much appreciated!
Tim took this photo a while ago and it reminded me of a recent "Jesus Sighting". :)
I was talking to a good friend of mine on the phone the other day while she was taking a VERY long walk on a VERY long trail. She was sharing some difficulties she's been having with a relationship. We were crying together and talking about the faithfulness of God no matter what circumstances we come across and that Jesus is also praying to God on our behalf. We began to pray that God would reveal His purposes through the difficulty and that He would be glorified regardless of the outcome. We asked the Lord to encourage her daily and to remind her that He would be with her along the way as she deals with the process of reconciliation. It was heavy and wonderful all at the same time.
And then something happened. She asked me to "Hang on a moment" because some guy on a bike was approaching her. I asked her if she knew the guy and she said she'd never seen him before. I was a bit nervous, so I listened close......

The guy rode up to her and said, "I noticed you've been crying and you've been walking a long time....I just wanted to say that everything's going to be okay and I bought you these.....oh, and by the way, you have great hair!" Then he rode off.

Ya know what he bought her? A BIG bouquet of flowers. What timing!!! God is sooo good! And to comment on her hair!? She's got AWESOME curly, fiery red hair....it really IS great hair.
Hearing the conversation take place, I was stunned. Stunned that God heard our prayers right then and there and had grace for us both! Not only was she blessed, but I was, too! We both knew it was a "Jesus Sighting" and that God was showing His faithfulness once again. WHOA! We had a BIG laugh and then got weepy again. She was convinced, once again, that Jesus cared where she was at. That's huge.
Psalm 118 reveals the merciful, faithful character of God when it repeats over and over, "His love endures forever". Regardless of outer circumstances and the hurt that others cause, "His love endures forever" and He shows it to us, sometimes through strangers! Read Psalm 118 and bask in His faithfulness!
And with the Holy Spirit praying for us daily, too, how can we not know that God is with us wherever we go and whatever we encounter!?
Romans 8: 25-27 says, "But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will."
With the Holy Spirit interceding for us as we pray, we should be LOOKING for "Jesus Sightings"....I betcha there are a lot of potential "Sightings" that we fail to recognize....Has Jesus been sighted in your present circumstances? Mmmmm.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bethany,
I know that Jesus rides bicycles. I
had the same sighting some years ago. He said the same thing to me and also promised to pray for me. (I didn't get the flowers but that's ok) That is so like Jesus. Scripture says He intercedes before the Father day and night for us. So cool! This, I'm sure won't be the last time your friend has a "divine encounter". He is faithful to show up when we need Him to. Love your insights my dear.
You are a blessing.
MOM

8:22 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Thanks, mom. I love you and everything I learned by watching you! :) (And Jesus in you, too!)

8:49 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing!

Love ya.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bethany;It is such a blessing to hear your heart, even when I'm on the other side of the world. You really bless me. So when is YOUR book coming out? It was great to talk to you today. Much love, Mum (as they say in Britain!)

2:10 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

What's that verse about entertaining angels unaware? I'm always so amazed (though I shouldn't be) when I'm shown again and again how my heavenly Father attends to his children's littlest of needs. He's truly the most loving of creators!

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home