taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Monday, November 20, 2006

God's answering machine......


"Hello, you've reached God....I'm not here to take your call right now, but if you leave a message, I'll send somebody to call you back as soon as I stop caring for the rest of the world. Take care!"

Ever feel this way? Don't you love it when you've been trying to get a hold of someone and over and over again you just get their answering machine? Do you get tired of leaving messages? Well, something hit me this week as I was reflecting on my Bible Study homework...yeah, I got homework! Ya know, we have FULL, FREE access to God whenever we want?

Romans 5:1-4 says, "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained
access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."

FULL access into His grace....meaning, we can come to His throne freely without reservation or fear because we have been covered by His grace.....take a look at Hebrews 4: 14-16, which says, "Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.
Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

Whoa! That's so cool!
I found a poem online at another lady's blog....the author is unknown, but there is a little portion of that poem that really illustrates how good we humans have it....it's called "Hello God, I called Tonight"....the poem is a lot longer and cheesier, so I just included the last portion....

"I thank you God, for being home
And listening to my call,
For giving me such good advice
When I stumble and fall.
Your number, God, is the only one
That answers every time
I never get a busy signal,
Never had to pay a dime
So, thank you God for listening
To my troubles and my sorrows.
Good night, God, I love you, too!
And I'll call again tomorrow!"


Cheesy, but effective. "What is man, that you are mindful of him, mere man that you should care." (Psalm 8:3-5) But He does care. God never has us talk to his secretary or His voice recording...we get to go directly to the Source....to the God who never sleeps, who always cares, whose plans are always for good. Long sigh. I don't think I give Him all the glory He is due. Mmmmmm.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm going to Newlife in the fall. Would love to chat. You can email me at jjgerm@yahoo.com or visit my blog at www.spaces.msn.com/9germains

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you are on your way "home" for Thanksgiving, but wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of and praying for a safe trip and I love you.

May this Thanksgiving be a memorable one that will bring much joy to all!

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home