taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Counting the Costs, enduring the storm...


Greetings, friends! It has been a quiet couple of days on my blog...sorry about that. Please continue to comment, though, as it is truly a great encouragement to me.

The last few days have been very tiring, trying, and tumultuous. That's partially why I posted this picture Tim took of one of the beautiful tulips in a bouquet he bought me for Valentine's Day....it reminds me that even through the ugly darkness of trial and crisis, God provides beauty to refocus our thoughts and bring us hope......I'll post more later on how amazing my Tim is and what a wondering day he gave me....but here are the memoirs of the most recent experiences....

Our dear friends who are coming with us to the Philippines have been going through a tough time with all the preparations and with their growing family. It has been very difficult on them and weighs heavily on my heart. God is moving, but our thoughts are not HIS thoughts and our ways are not HIS ways....He knows the bigger picture and sees beyond the strenuous days we have been enduring....please pray for them.

My parents are going through some very difficult growing pains, too. The kind that stretch to the point of exhaustion and cause deep pain. My heart aches for them. Please pray for them, too.

Just got word today that Tim's mom and dad, who are in India, are going through some warfare, too as his dad got bit by spiders all over his face and he is so swollen he can hardly see. As he preaches and ministers from one village to the next amidst the pain, our hearts are heavy in prayer. His swelling is subsiding, praise GOD! Please pray for them.

Then there's the birth I got to be at this weekend. My very first one...I got to be the doula. Filled with anticipation and joy, pregnant mom and dad entered the hospital early yesterday morning and labored all day and night. She was so strong and was gracious with everyone around her.....even at her most tired and most painful moment at 1:30 am, she thanked the doctor and nurses around her and smiled a weary smile. I was humbled. Through much difficulty, she delivered a healthy baby girl around 3 am by C-section and was too exhausted to share in the joy of bringing her first child into the world. After a 22-hour day, I too, was completely wasted....I can't imagine her exhaustion. Please pray for her and her family.

My heart is heavy, my body is weak and yet God is making His presence known. Thursday, Tim and I received two beautiful letters in the mail from dear friends that had decided to support us prayerfully and financially in our journey overseas. We also have the awesome opportunity to visit with new friends we met online who are going to be attending Newlife school in September, too! They are coming tomorrow with their 7 children to feast on pizza and fellowship with our dear friends and their two kids and our three boys! A very FULL house tomorrow, but a joyful one, I am sure.

It seems as though every direction we turn, there is great pain and opportunity. Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers and powers of this present darkness (Ephesians 6:12). I believe that we are warring in our flesh (ie. the physical difficulties we are going through) but also in our spirits (ie. emotions and warfare against depression and discouragement). I know you know what I mean. Tim and I are not alone in our feelings or struggles....we KNOW THAT.

Though pain seems to be infiltrating every fiber of our life and the lives of the people closest to us in some way or another right now, we know God is doing something bigger than our minds can comprehend and we know that whatever happens, He is ALWAYS good and His love endures forever. So this evening, I meditate on Psalm 118. Read it. It's good. "His love endures forever."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Jehoshaphat faced news of impending war initiated by the Moabites, Ammonites and Meunites, his first response was to turn to the Lord in prayer. This is particularly interesting given that he was explicitly told that he had no time to waste, as the armies of the enemy were already in close geographical proximity to the borders of his kingdom. Part of Jehoshaphat's prayer is included below and proves faith-inspiring (for me at least ;) as he demonstrates his great faith in God despite his circumstances, and what can only be described as extreme anxiety over the fate of his people and his land.

2 Chronicles 20:9:
'When the worst happens - whether war or flood or disease or famine - and we take our place before this Temple (we know you are personally present in this place!) and pray out our pain and trouble, we know that you will listen and give victory.'
2 Chronicles 20:12
O dear God, won't you take care of them (these troubles, these growing pains, these trials and tribulations, exaustion and depression)? We're helpless before this vandal horde ready to attack us. We don't know what to do; we're looking to you."

Though it is not the answer to every one of our problems, how freeing to know that we can always turn to Him (the great healer, the prince of peace, our rock and fortress, salvation in time of troubles) and expect His hand to move in our lives.

Prov 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.

I will join you in prayer and the belief that He works all things together for the good of those who love Him. And to conclude on a lighter note, I leave with you a quip I heard earlier this week: "When God closes one door, He opens another - it's just hell in the hallway."

Love you much and glad for the update, N.

7:01 AM  
Blogger lo said...

So encouraging reading your blog... when I was leaving to come here I was so convicted that this is where God would have me, and that He was making the way... yet I felt very alone in the earthly sence of this endevour. It was only in the last few weeks that God really put people and circumstance in my life to comfirm His word. It didn't make His work any more true... only maybe a bit more tangible.
Reading about how the Lord has been confirming His word and work in your lifes is SUCH a blessing in my heart. It's His heart... to love us and direct us to Himself, and I believe the trials and testing times now are part of what He uses to really confirm our commitment to His plans... so that He may be glorified in our midsts.
A missionary friend of mine and I had a conversation about a year ago now, as we both were preparing to go overseas. She asked me if I was grieving for the life I was leaving behind... I thought about that for a bit... and it is true... this time of preparation does contain an element of grief, but I believe the Lord speaks over that sorrow with unspeakable Joy and Hope of what is to come!
So excited for your adventure... the process is so good. For He is good.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hug

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home