taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

A dollop of patience would help!

This pic is of two of our boys after an awesome slide into a snow bank....note to self: 'skateboards without wheels CANNOT be used as snowboards'. Creative, though. As the snow melts and we embark on our last few months as "extended families" to these kids, I am humbled and blessed at these last four years....unless I dwell on this:

"B. Oh Beeeeeeeeeee! Beeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Where are you Beeeeeeee??"

This is where you find me in the closet eating chocolate covered almonds trying to find my "happy place". Yeah, that's been my weekend. We have a four-year-old and a nine year-old who sound extremely alike....so much so that I often confuse the two piercing voices in unison saying, "Beeeeeeeee, oooohhhh Beeeeeeee?" (that's what they call me because they have issues saying my name.) My nieces and nephews call me 'Aunt B', my friends' boy calls me "Unca B" (he hasn't figured out that 'unca' is a boy and 'auntie' is a girl, but I'm okay with that now. :) Some of our other kids here call me "B-Bear".....one of the boys refers to me as "Barfany"...

I'm okay with all the silly names, but the kids yelling from every corner of the house: "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?" is getting really....ummm, ANNOYING!!! The high-pitched squeals of searching for their servant caregiver get really old after a while. The kids don't come and find me, they just yell... and if I come find them, I get some of the weirdest and most retarded questions ever so I've resorted to waiting until they find ME. And then when they do, I ask them what they need and they say, "Oh, I forgot." LOVELY! Anyways, today I need more patience. Thus I hide in the closet or the bathroom and breathe deep until my blood pressure lowers and the urge to scream passes.

God knew what I needed when He gave me Tim.....he'll often hear the kids before I do (because he's often in the same room when they start yelling!) and he'll say, "Hey! Why can't you ask ME the question? Why bug B...she's busy!" Oh, bless my hubby-man! And for a few short moments, all will be quiet and well......

Oh, Lord, give me patience!

We told the Ministry of Children and Families (our employer) that we would not be signing a new contract in May as usual because we would be moving overseas. What we thought was going to be a difficult and somewhat emotional conversation turned to one of great joy and encouragement. Our supervisor was clearly excited for the journey Tim and I had ahead of us and wanted to offer a strong congratulations. She also shared how appreciative she is for the "exceptional job" we've done here at the house. We were blessed, but later found out that upon our departure, they would be closing the house down and not hiring a replacement. That's when we began to feel a sense of loss....these kids and their families will not have this resource soon....it is now that I realize how petty my lack of patience this weekend has been.

With only 4 1/2 months to go before we never see these children again, I hide at the sound of them calling my name and I impatiently answer their questions....."Oh what a wretched woman I am!" And I am humbled.

"Lord, forgive me for now exemplifying You. How can I serve You better by serving these kids?" Ugh.

Be blessed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading this story stirs some grief in me. I am tearing up by he thought that these kids may not get another "B" to love them, encourage them and share Jesus with them. But then, I'm reminded that God loves them and knows their future too. He will provide a new "B" and Tim. We need to pray that your kids all find new replacements for you, and leave the details to God.
Mom

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home