taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Trying not to dwell on the 'natural'....



Good day, eh? The sun is FINALLY shining here in Vancouver...we've been itching for some sun and now you can REALLY see the tulip bulbs bursting with new growth!

I wish I could say the same for myself! It's been a rough couple of days....Saturday night I woke up with the chills, the aches and the RALPH!!! Yes, that is code for v-o-m-i-t. The flu had paid a visit...only I was the one that was paying! We were working with the kids and Tim had to take on more than the usual job 'cuz I was almost completely out of commission. He did great. He'll make an incredible dad someday....I love watching him.

As if the flu wasn't enough, I have been struggling with the "woman's curse"...you know what I mean...the "time of the month" stuff....for over 2 1/2 months.....yeah, that's right...NON-STOP. It's not too painful and Tim will tell you I've not been more moody that usual (cheeky grin!) and I write this mainly because I know most of the people who will read this are women and dear friends who know the struggles Tim and I have been through on this front over the last few years. But after 2 1/2 months....I'm tired and frustrated...annoyed and not ready to "just give up", but close.

So I was feeling blu with the flu and struggling with the weak state my body has been in and then the fears started to creep in like they do....Lie #1: "if you can barely do the job you have now with your health, how are you gonna serve others in the Philippines?"....Lie #2: "You're just gonna be a liability over there and if you just keep bleeding, you won't ever get pregnant anyway."...Lie #3: "God's obviously telling you that you gotta stay here and let the 'capable' people do the REAL work...He's not gonna provide for you what you need." This is the part where I roar like a lion and tell satan to go suck a lemon in Jesus' name!

But my body was still weak and in some ways my heart, an open wound.

But you know what happened? One of our 11 year-old boys in our group home wanted me to tuck him in Sunday night even though I looked like the south end of a horse. It wasn't because I do the best tucking-in job or because he wanted me to get him an extra blanket or some milk (which is usually the case...I'm such a bedtime sucker!). He wanted me to tuck him in so that HE could pray for ME! It's true! I cried as he started his prayer....

"Good ol' Jesus...could you pleeeeeeeeease get my bestest friend in the whole wide world better because she feels like poo and can't play with us as much AND because she's my friend....thanks....and...uh....please help it to snow tomorrow so we don't have school. Amen."

I laughed, my stomach churned, I groaned and our 11 year-old gave me a hug. It was exactly what I needed at that very moment. And I AM feeling way better today than I was that night! So it must've worked!

Our 11 year-old was hugely instrumental in helping me to stand and fight with the Holy Spirit the lies satan was throwing at me and the fears of not being good enough. And though I feel daily bombarded with thoughts that are not God's truth, I am blessed and encouraged by the supernatural faith and love God has placed in some of our kids and I am reminded that our army is stronger than satan's army. Even Jesus is interceding for us day and night (Romans 8:34)! And He is making me strong....because when I am weak....HE is strong (2 Corinthians 12:10) and HE is in me. AMEN!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found this particular scripture encouraging in my own journey, especially when Satan comes a'knocking (in fact its hanging right over my desk so that it is easily accessible for such times as those, or anytime I look up for that matter!) Perhaps you will view it as applicable in your situation as well :)

"Because I know how it's going to turn out. Through your faithful prayers and the generous response of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, everything He wants to do in and through me will be accomplished."
~Philippians 1:19

It doesn't matter what the circumstances are, just that we keep our eyes on Him at all times... He is still and always in control. I'll be praying for you too.

Love, N.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Btw, the photo is b-e-autiful... Wow!

~N.

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE you, B! I just read the prayer out loud to Orion, and we had a good laugh. I love that joy is on Jesus' side.

9:02 AM  
Blogger lo said...

Astonishing pic. So many wonderful colours! I spent some time the other day reading the story of how the
Lord led you and Tim to Davao... I was so blessed and encouraged... and continue to be blessed by your obedience:).. Look forward to meeting you in just about 6 months now... and spending at least the next year in community!
I hear what you were saying the other post about grieving the life you may have always dreamed of as you prepare to head this way... I went through that for sure, but like I know you are already experiencing... HE is FAITHFUL to bring new blessings... and it will be a WONDERFUL thing to TRUST HIM with this new step... We are praying for you guys already.

ps... i am going to be passing through Vancouver a few times this spring/summer (i have some weddings I am heading to in Alberta....) it would be fun to meet you... and maybe I could even take a bag of two this way for you... let me know what you think:)

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home