taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

BIG GOD, little blessings......



As I walked out to the garage today, I noticed the spring bulbs I'd planted had partially come up! CONFUSION! It's been snowing here on and off since November and these little tulip, hyacinth and daffodil bulbs should NOT be pushing up the dirt! They are supposed to be sleeping until late February! But as you can see from the photos, these dear ones are already saying winter is passing......

God reminded me of something very dear to my heart. I planted that garden 3 years ago as a result of getting fed up with an out-of-control morning glory vine. (You may recall the post I wrote last year regarding my passion flower.)

Each year, I've decided to experiment with planting from seed and planting more interesting bulbs as well as transplanting and collecting seeds in the fall from existing flowers for planting later. This passed year was no different. Last fall was the biggest effort I had put out to make this novice garden look lovely all spring and summer.

I had planted anticipating a hardy season of bloom....excited to see what combinations would come up as I blindly threw out seeds and bulbs. And when the Lord asked us to move to the Philippines, we did not hesitate, but that was in October and the garden work had already been done. I was a little dismayed when I realized that it would mean not seeing my labours bear fruit in our yard. But it hit me today....the bulbs are already coming up and we leave in July! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!? YES! It means I get to see the beautiful creativity of the Lord in my garden all spring and a little into Summer!!! I even get to see the first blooms of my passion flower! What a blessing! God knew what a blessing my garden has been to me....it has sustained me time and time again when things have been rough and God has used it over and over to speak to me and show me His heart.....and so God knew the timing would be perfect to move....with just enough time to enjoy the fruit of my labours from last fall.

I am so grateful we serve a God who sees our hearts, listens to our cries, and knows our passions....He is soooo good! I'll be sure to post the lovely garden photos as soon as they pop out! Be blessed and know your God is watching out for you!

3 Comments:

Blogger Gwen said...

Isn't it wonderful when God reminds us that He's not just the GOD OF BIG THINGS, but that He cares about all the details of our lives?

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bethany! It's Andrea from Mackenzie! I received your card...THANK YOU! It sounds like things are in full gear for you guys! I can't wait to hear how things go for you guys over there!
Blessings!
Andrea

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear B,
Hope you are feeling better!
As I read your garden story, I thought of the many seeds we sow and cultivating we do in one another's lives without necessarily seeing the flowers that lie dormant through the winter seasons of our lives. But someone else down the road will be blessed!
Love you

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home