taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Blessed.....I hope.


Thank you for the comments, friends! Sorry it's been a while....lots of distractions these last few weeks! So we press on....

I like this picture. It's the daisy on my front porch. It makes me think of the many blessings God has given me....one very tangible blessing is the vast array of flowers in my yard. It's pretty nuts the amount of growing that's going on.

But lately my heart has been heavy with some stress and circumstance. Some pressure from people to "do more" and pressure to "be more".....trying to stay teachable and pleasant, but feeling overwhelmed. But I do not serve a God of chaos or a God of confusion. I know this is the devil's way of keeping me distracted from what I know is God's greatest plan and desire for my life. He has placed in me dreams that sometimes burst within me in anticipation for His creative accomplishing. He is the only One who can make them come into reality. That is SO encouraging. I just wait and lay down the expectations of those around me and listen to the One who really knows me. What I am failing at and not doing within the stress is praising and worshipping the God who knows me....I have been crying out to Him, but when He comes, I do not worship Him...I seem to take the peace He gives and run right into the stress again followed by my running to Him to give me that peace one more time and then running into the stress again. I am "casting my cares on Him" and then not thanking Him or giving Him the glory where it is due....Oh, Lord. I'm sorry.

And then He showed me Mary. When she was at her most nerve-wrecking hour, when life seemed to have given her a BIG surprise, when God saw her worthy to carry His Son, she did not cry to God and move on...look what she did........

In this passage, Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist, is saying to Mary, the mother of Jesus, that she is blessed by God because of her belief that God would do all He said He would do. And Mary's reaction is not to panic under the circumstance, but to worship.....
Luke 1:45-55
"Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!" And Mary said: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble (and desperate: Bethany paraphrased) state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me— holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation (that's us!! : Bethany paraphrased!). He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers." Abraham believed the promises of the Lord, too, and it was credited to him as RIGHTEOUSNESS! (see Genesis 15:6) Cool!

Case and point: God follows through with His promises! Why do we allow the stressors and circumstances of this world to take away our belief in His promises and the peace He has so graciously provided for us or to even distract us from them? Mary knew the trials she'd face by carrying the Messiah, being a virgin, and raising God's Son. Whoa....what am I complaining about!! I believe in the promises He has placed within me...that He will accomplish them regardless of my outer circumstance and therfore... I AM BLESSED! (and you are, too!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BETHANY,
Your flower looks nearly perfect! I'm sure if you'd look closer you would find some imperfections. But that one looks like it's pretty healthy. I wonder how much stress it has to go through to look like that. It just sits there and grows and leaves the work to you, the master gardener. There's a sermon in there somewhere. No time now to elaborate, I'm at work. Another good blog. Sure love you kiddo!
MOM

3:38 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Youre right, mom. I like you and the way you think. I like that God is our Master Gardener. Love you.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home