taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Destined for greatness........


Ever feel this way? I think my mom sent me this picture a while back...just to make me laugh. But there are days when I feel like this.....a little revealed, uncovered, like my worst features are on display. And bikinis NEVER look good anyway!

Hippos are interesting creatures....have you ever seen one in a yellow-polka-dot bikini? I didn't think so! And did you know that hippos secrete their own special sunscreen out of their pores and this is what gives them their pinky-orangey-brown color? Did you know that they spend most of their day submerged under water with only their mouth, ears, and eyes above the surface to prevent sunburn? And did you know that they only go in search of food when the sun goes down and then they eat short grasses until the sun comes up....sometimes 500 pounds of grass!!?? And did you know that they can stay under water for up to 5 minutes? And did you know that they are extremely territorial and males will mark their territory and status by gathering up females around them? Sounds like a few humans I know!! Just kidding....but really, they are interesting animals....related to the pig apparently! So all this to say...I've never really given much thought to hippos, but after reading up on them, I'd say that they are pretty fantastic....so what does this have to do with the Lord??

Well, I was chatting with an acquaintance at a restaurant today and she was saying that a friend of hers cannot believe in God because God and the belief in God is not logical.....we chatted a bit about the differences between God's logic and man's logic. There is a BIG difference and yet, look at the hippo....the fact that he has sunscreen secreted from his pores to protect his skin from the sun is sooo logical! What "big bang" or other theory could create an animal with its own sunscreen and what theory could be more logical than a creative and logical God saying the 'word' and it coming to life? So cool. Maybe we just don't take a close enough look at creation.....the hippo shows the greatness of God's creation....the attention to detail.....the art of the artist. Maybe I'll check out woodbugs (pill bugs) tomorrow....I've always wondered what was so great about them.....

Have you found something that has totally blessed your socks off?
Be blessed and keep those comments coming!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bethany,
You make me laugh! You are so much like me! Yesterday I got blessed by looking up the ingredients in cement!!! God gave me lesson in it I'll share with you later. I enjoy your quirky brain. I'm looking forward to our zoo trip and the wonders God will reveal there.
FUN!!!
mom

5:19 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Thanks, mom! Tomorrow I'll post about pill bugs! I like them....those miniature armadillos! Fun! Love you!

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home