taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

What a MAN!

Let me tell you why I have the most amazing husband ever....this picture was taken at Lighthouse Park here in Vancouver last week. Tim and I went on a hike to a secluded and beautiful spot within the giant park and ate a dinner of pasta and tiramisu on the cliff's edge. Ahhh.

But you know how there's a passage in Proverbs that speaks about the character of a woman? (it's Proverbs 31 if you're interested). Well, there isn't a clear single passage geered totally toward the character of a man....like a list of characteristics that teach men how to be men or how to be good husbands. God just tells men to love their wives the way Christ loves the church. (Ephesians 5:25-26 "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word").

So what does that really mean? I'm looking into that and I have some ideas given the fact that Christ is very intentional and clear in the way He loves His church, His kids. Although I don't know the full extent of the passage above, I know my hubby is awesome at displaying Christ's love to me in very tangible ways.

Ya know, he told me that he would rather hang out with me and do nothing than go anywhere with his friends!? We work together 24-7, too! He challenges me on my thinking when it is totally off....he sets up strong, healthy boundaries with those around him, including the people who expect the most from him. He recognizes when I am getting overwhelmed and graciously tends to my needs. He will rub my back at bedtime until I fall asleep and will always pray just before bed when I ask him to.... he always prays FOR ME first. He encourages me to not "sweat the small stuff" and says "thank you for making dinner" even when it stinks! He takes a firm stand around others that I am the one he prefers and talks positively about me in public. He is never threatened by my joining him in his hobbies and will willingly accompany me on silly outings that I just don't feel like doing alone. He runs errands whenever needed without complaining and even picks me up a coffee or flowers on the way! When I can't sleep at night he will write limmericks in his head and recite them to me to make me laugh....
He always puts down the toilet seat and will water my garden for me. Yes, it's clear I could go on and on and perhaps he would be good at writing a manual for hubbies, but I must say, we have been through some terribly rough times, too. Between the grace of God, His giving us wisdom and the determination to love each other no matter what the circumstance, overcoming obstacles has become a guarantee. I am so thankful for my man. I just had to let you all know how blessed I am.

PS. Sorry for the lack of postings....things have been busy here and next week I will be in Oregon visiting my family, so I will try to post a few before I leave! Blessings to you all and keep the comments coming!


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BETHANY,
Nothing makes me happier(beside the fact you love God) than the fact Tim loves you.
That makes us blessed as well.
Thanks, Timmy...you're the bom!
Mom

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for Tim . . . yah, he's pretty great.
Sorry to break it to you, Bethany baby, but he definitely has some serious competition for the 'best husband in the world' award. He's not walking away with that one. :-P

2:11 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I concur. Tim is a pretty awesome guy. Hey - wanna find me one of those? :)

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

face to the name! he's always come across as a real nice guy on his blog & when he visits .. but it's nice to read that he is beyond nice!! (i do some of the things he does, but only some!) ;)

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home