taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Sorry for the delay...I was away...that rhymed!


I actually was not away....just didn't quite make it to the computer. It has been a busy season. And this is my 90th post!! And this is little Seth...he's my good friend....so is his mom, Rebecca...my dear, dear friend. I got to meet him for the first time last week. What a blessing.

No doubt you are experiencing the busyness of the holidays, too. On Saturday, we had our very first fundraiser. It was a Christmas Benefit Tea with all your high tea English favorites! We had a gas! A lot of hard work, but great fun and we had a pretty good turn out of ladies.

In this crazy season of crowded malls and shopping centers, kids having to go to one Christmas program after another, holiday parties and work get-togethers, visiting relatives we're not so keen on, driving in rush hour to get to some party you HAVE to make an appearance at....it's a wonder we have time to open all those presents! (Notice I left out something VERY important about CHRISTmas.)

I was at the gym yesterday and there were quite a few ladies there who don't know Jesus and frankly have a poor view of Him. They know that I am a Christian, but they think I am an anomaly because I haven't gone political on them, yet. ;) But one thing struck me about their speaking on Christmas. They HATED this time of year! Really!

One lady was frustrated because she couldn't find anything for her grandkids that they haven't already received. Another was complaining that she goes into debt every year as a result of this "season of giving"....and another said she just stop giving altogether and stated that her family just needed to love her for her and not for what she gives at Christmastime. Whoa....how sad.

What about the joy of knowing that a Saviour has come to offer us freedom from death? What about the giving spirit that just says, "I'm blessing you with a gift because God has blessed me with the Ultimate gift!"? What about serving others as Christ served us? And what about the peace of knowing that one day, we will celebrate the true Christmas WITH Jesus in HIS home?

The world is FINALLY recognizing that Christmas as THEY know it, is missing something VERY important. They are finally understanding how cheap and meaningless our world has made this miraculous holiday. They are finally realizing how empty and tired they are of sin. Good thing we have this Christmas thing every year because it's just gonna get worse until we communicate God's greatest Christmas gift. His Son. Merry Christmas and may you sense His presence (presents) this week and may He give you boldness to tell the truth about Christmas. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Esul... morning dew said...

Bethany, I like this post. I feel like I am one of those ladies in the gym :( I hate that the materialistic Christmas ALWAYS interferes with the REAL, emotional, and spiritual, Christmas. I've been stressed about upcoming events, getting the perfect gift for people, sending things in the post on time (which most definately isn't going to happen!!!), all the while, hating that I'm too busy to enjoy the Christmassy things - decorating, baking, reading, resting, etc.
Anyway, all that to say, I liked your "conviction."
I also wanted to let you know that I received an evite, but it was a reminder, so I think the original one must have gone to my spam and been deleted. I'd love to hear more about your fundraising process, so please keep me posted... and I really hope that sometime after Christmas we can meet! Oh the ABSENCE!!!!! (I'm also happy that you got to see Rebecca's baby! How exciting!)

3:15 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

This post was a blessing!
So, even though you didn't go "all political" on them (which, by the way, is a lot more loving than some other approaches), did you tell them about why you have joy during this season?!

Also, thanks so much for posting a picture of Seth. I forgot to look at them when I was at your place and I really wanted to! What a doll!

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home