taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

"Just keep swimming....."

Hello, all! This is the latest picture of Miranda, the baby whose birth I had the opportunity to attend. She's looking less and less like an alien everyday! Tee hee! God has been faithful and this little one is growing and thriving...delighting her parents with every poopie diaper, yawn, cry and feed.

As in the words of 'Dori' from Finding Nemo, we "just keep swimming".....

Both Tim and I are struggling with a lack of patience and grace for our job...like "short-timer's syndrome". We are finding each work day more and more difficult as we finish up our 4th year here at the group home. Our effectiveness has worn off and we are feeling tired, worn, and sitting through social worker/parent meetings don't help matters. We are fed up with the way the Ministry of Children and Family Development servicesare run here and are frustrated with the lack of wise parenting that is destroying the lives of the kids in our care. There's nothing left we can do.....

After two days of meetings and 5 days of work this week, we're pretty fried and just want to go to our new home in the Philippines....get a new perspective....a change of pace...do something that makes a difference in others' lives in the name of Jesus...

It's amazing how the vision and plan to start serving the poor in the Philippines keeps us swimming. The Lord reminds us of the journey we're in for through some of the blogs the students of Newlife have kept and just when we feel like we're drowning, He feeds us with anticipation and joy for what is to come.

The Lord also reminds me that though we are excited to help the physically and materialistically poor in the Philippines, for now He has called us to minister to the emotionally poor...the poor parents...the poorly behaved kids. I don't feel like we're doing any good with that right now. I am humbled. He is our strength. I often feel as though I have nothing worthy or empowering to give....and then I remember that's okay, because God does! I am so glad that nothing is impossible for Him and that He doesn't NEED ME to accomplish His purposes. But I am His vessel.

Be blessed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bethany,
I am delighted to return home and get an update on your life through your blog. You are so amazingly diligent with it!

My friend I have a word of encouragement for you, learned during my recent travels.

Even when you think that your best efforts have failed to bear fruit be encouraged. You cannot always see the lasting impact you are leaving in the lives of those you are working with - but rest assured there is an impact and imprint. Think back to the people who impacted your life as a child - i bet some of them are no longer part of your life, but their imprint remains.

I think that sometimes we fail to realize that in our interactions with others it is the light of Jesus that shines out of us so that others may see it. It is not something that happens when we are trying, but often just naturally in our weakness. The things of God are so backwards and upside down to the way we think!

Before I left for India, I struggled with wondering what kind of impact some one time medical clinics and some tylenol could have on the global crisis of poverty. While I was away God allowed me to see it is not the clinics per say, but is the light that shines out of the people there to care. This is inspite sometimes feeling very stressed or overwhelmed, this is what leaves an impact. Jesus sees the one. He has known that the people you work with have needed you. Sometimes it is just that you were there - even when you didn't want to be. HIS grace is sufficient to accomplish all of His plans. He will use you even when you are tired, fried and done.
Keep holding on to Jesus - There is so much in store for you and much to learn in this time of being "done".
You bless my socks off!
Heidi

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home