taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Pill bugs....what's the point?

So I told you last post that I would look at "pill bugs"....or "wood bugs" as our 7 year-old refers to them. You say, "What's so special about those garden creepers, Bethany?"

Well, let me tell ya....they are another example of the "logical side" (see last post) of God. No, really! They are! Did you know that they are not insects, but isopods? (related to the ant) And did you know that throughout their lives, they shed their outer exoskeleton 4 to 5 times?
And did you know (here's the kicker...) that they eat decaying, rotten, wilting plants and animals?? WAY TOO COOL!

Look at your garden or if you don't have a garden, go to the park! These little creepers are everywhere! And they are making this world a prettier, less smelly place! They eat the decaying, ooky, slimy plants that if left too long make the whole plant diseased and rotted! They eat the dead crow on your sidewalk and the little bitty earwig eggs! THESE GUYS ROCK! And what's even more awesome is that when these guys eat this disgusting diet of rot, they poop it out into your soil making it more fertile! YEAH FOR PILL BUGS!

On a more spiritual note...they are armoured vehicles, too! Their hard "candy" shell protects them from pedators as they roll into balls like a tiny armadillo! Reminds me of the armour of God....ya know...the breastplate of righteousness, the helmet of salvation....without OUR armour, we are powerless to our icky predator, the devil. But with God's armour, we can roll up into armoured balls and steamroll right over our advesary! Cool!

One more thing about these coolie critters...can you imagine having your own pet pill bug that would eat all the rotten stuff in your life and then poop it out to make you life more "fertile"? I DO! I would have it eat up all my impure thoughts, my selfish desires, my lack of trust.....Oh, this pill bug would be fed to the MAX! But for now, this pill bug is a picture of the Holy Spirit in my life....He doesn't EAT the rotten stuff...HE TRANSFORMS IT! And makes something beautiful of my life.
II Corinthians 3:17-18

"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."

Take care and keep those comments coming! What would YOUR pill bug eat?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry. Pill bugs don't do it for me. I seem to find them in the corners of the basement and even the closets (dead usually)no rotting plants there.
They were kinda fun when I was a kid, though. Played with them like marbles. Comparing them to the Holy Spirit was interesting.
See ya tomorrow. Drive safely.
Mom

4:22 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Thanks, mom! These "bugs" also eat dead insects and animals, though! Got any rotting rats in your walls?? Tee hee! Love you and see you soon!

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm always intrigued by how things are named in different parts of the world - here in the UK they are known as Woodlice.
.. i remember eating some once when i was a child (ok, so late teens! lol) .. not bad, but certainly not good either!
;)

4:54 AM  
Blogger Esul... morning dew said...

Bethany, I hope this comment works... i'm typing from the computers at school and they're all in Korean, so I hope that in sending this comment it doesn't show up as random symbols and what have you.
I haven't visited your blog in a long time and I just caught up on all the readings... what a great way to end my work day! You are always so hopeful and positive even about the terrible stuff that inevitably happens to us and when I read your stuff I feel so awful for complaining about things that are bad in my life...here is the difference between you and I: you aren't afraid of facing your imperfections and weaknesses, and I am... I bury and bury things deep down and when even the smallest button is pushed, all that is "underground" rushed up like a huge gieser (sp??) and people can't understand what my problem is. A lot of the time I don't even know, I just know that I am angry... that's just not right... is it?
All that to say I am always so encouraged by your posts and by the thoughts of your mind and heart. I hope your time in Oregon was/is very fun and relaxing!

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home