taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Ever do this?


Ever bite off more than you can chew? This gull certainly did! Tim took these pictures the other day while on a walk with Uncle Bob and Aunt Sylvia. We had a good laugh as we watched this determined gull try to swallow the starfish whole! No kidding! Instead of breaking it down into bits (as if it could!), this gull kept trying to get all five legs into his mouth and down his throat.

It didn't work. He even got creative and tried bashing the fish on rocks to see if it would miraculously burst open with full starfish flavor, but it really just bounced! Poor, poor gull. He obviously had never been taught that starfish have a hard candy shell.

Have you ever done that?....Just taken a big bite outta something that just won't be broken, controlled or consumed? And like this gull, you spend countless hours trying to find a way to gain power or control over it or the situation you created, but really you're just wasting time? This gull could've left this starfish or thrown it back to the sea and started on something more appetizing, like a mussel or oyster! Some things aren't meant to be fought with. It's not our battle and we can move on...thank the Lord!!!

However, there are times when God calls us to growth through finding creative ways to deal with starfish in our beaks. No doubt this gull tried and tried...his perseverance astounds me! And maybe that's why he was fighting the starfish....purely for a test in perseverance...not that gulls need character development, but you get my drift....or at least I hope you do!

In other words, only when God guides, He provides (as my dad always says!), otherwise, God will provide a way out....and escape....like throwing the starfish BACK into the water!

1 Corinthians 10:12-13
"So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall (or bite off more than you can chew!!!) No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bethany,
I love this picture and how you decribed it. How funny! I love watching how selfish and gluttoness seagulls can be. But what came to my mind was how I identified with the starfish rather than the gull. How that bird would want to devour the starfish, but could not because of it's hard shell and 5 arms, reminds me of how the enemy wants to devour us! A lesson from Eph.6 comes to my mind about appying the whole armor,ie;those things are the breastplate of righteousness,belt of truth,shoes of peace,shield of faith,helmet of salvation,sword of the spirit.
I'm reading this at work and it has blessed my day.
Love you.
MOM

1:15 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Good! I am soooo glad! Thanks for the tidbit, too! I'm gonna go read Eph 6! Good word, mom! Love you!

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bethany; Your wisdom and insights never cease to amaze me. Thanks for sharing your heart; t helps me to know you better.
May the Lord give us all wisdom to know what battles are ours to fight, and when to quit and move on, trusting God for different provision. Love you, Mom Stewart

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home