taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Ahhhh, sleep.......zzzzzzzzz

Thank you, "moms", for the comments on last post! I was truly blessed! I always learn so much more when you comment!

Here's another shot Tim took from our walk with Uncle Bob and Auntie Sylvia this past week....this seal was inches away from us! He didn't seem alarmed by our presence at all! He was totally content to bask in the sun.....moved very little....his body a giant slug. Makes me sleepy just looking at him!


As I have been sharing the last few weeks, I am learning to set up boundaries.....chew only what I can swallow....deal only with what God has placed on my plate....and I am finding my plate is getting smaller. Good! More rest! However, I get stuck wrestling: "But what about all the things I want AND must DO for God?"...... and He answers, "Don't you think I am BIG enough to handle it ALL without you?" DUH...no, DOUBLE DUH! And yet, just yesterday I found myself feeling guilty and overwhelmed that I wasn't DOING enough.....overwhelmed with what I "needed" to do for God....to pick up everyone's burdens, give away all my possessions, empty my bank account to the nearest charity, house every homeless, abused child in the country....what else could I do? I just wanted to be that seal lazily moping on the rock at that point! And then I felt a tug from the Lord....

"Do you know Me?....Do you REALLY know Me? I don't need you to DO....but I need you to BE....when you BE all that I've created you to BE, then what I'VE called you to DO will be clear and not fueled by guilt or responsibility 'cuz I've told you that your life is to be a labor of love and guilt does not breed love. Spending these "smaller plate" days with Me is sowing love into you that will fuel all you DO through Me, for Me...because you love Me."

Ya know, God is so faithful to speak....and when He speaks, I "try" to hear, I "try" to listen.....He knows my desire is to comfort, help, fill myself with busy "goodness", but He hasn't asked me to do that. He's asked me....no, INVITED me to know Him and in knowing Him, DO what He asks of me....in His timing.

Do you ever feel pressured to DO more...to bite off more than you can chew because it's the noble thing to DO?

Ya know, Jesus said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."(Matthew 28:16-20) But He didn't give us a time limit....or a specific number...or even a specific region to start with.....we spend our whole lives with this commission and yet, He gives no formula or "program" as to how to get this done.....so what do we do? We get to know Him....develop a DEEP relationship with Him...so He flows out of us without programs and leaflets....making disciples out of showing Jesus....through knowing Jesus....am I making any sense...? Throw out the pressures from others and look to the relationship with the One who moves you.....He never "pushes" or "shoves"....He mooooooves (say that out loud...it's goooood that way!).....He inspires and RELEASES your life as a labor of love. Ya think?

3 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Ya I do think!!! Bethany i love that you take the time to share your journey. Let me encourage you by saying YOU ARE NOT ALONE - it is clear by your blog you are learning more and more that the Lord is with you on this one, but also you are not alone in this journey - i can totally relate to what you are going through and the shrinking plate!!! You know what is cool though - when we do only what God instructs us to do - there is this knowing - a knowing of the truth that "His yoke is easy and His burden is light"... I am learning what it means to let God love me, you know, not just because I do things for Him but because He just does. Sometimes it is when we stop doing all the good things we could do for Him that we start to really understand that reality. You are such a blessing and I love your blogging-it is so real. Looking forward to spending more time with you guys.

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto!!! Hiedi!!
Bethany, I'm going to use this one at the women's retreat because it is totally what God is wanting me to share with the ladies. He's been speaking to me about that too.
I do hope, however, that the seal is safe there on that rock. :(
Love ya,
MOM

8:43 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Wow! What a blessing! Thanks, Heidi! I like you. You gots that wisdom thing going on! And mom...thanks...it's such a blessing to get to talk with you this way! Thanks! And yes, the seal is safe...maybe not from me, though....I like seals!

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home