taming the tongue

Psalm 139:3-5 : You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my TONGUE you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

God's anger and forgiveness.....I'm challenged.

Have you ever tried to forgive someone who hurt you and got so frustrated that you were having such trouble forgiving them? Maybe you even felt guilty and shameful for not feeling forgiving........maybe you even had to wake up every morning saying "I forgive you" in your mind to that person even though everyday they continued to hurt you.......

Well, I learned something this weekend that changed my whole perspective on God's grace, forgiveness and my part in reconciliation. Although I do not fully agree with every portion of the teaching, I am interested in a dialogue about this...perhaps even challenging my own thoughts on the matter.....comment if you have a thought.

I used to think that no matter what someone did, I had to forgive them and if I couldn't, then I wasn't really a healthy Christian, I was bitter and angry and that God wouldn't forgive me. I know many of us have had that mindset. But I was challenged this weekend to rethink that ingrained teaching.

A friend and I went to hear Gary Chapman (author of The Five Love Languages) speak on Love and Anger. I really went because I wanted to spend time with this friend and I wanted to take an evening off of work. I had no idea that it would provide me with such freedom and release from my own self-condemnation.

You see, someone dear to me has taken his life into his own hands. He professed to know Christ, but in the last three years, he has chosen to cheat on his wife, fall into addictions, hurt those around him with his words and his actions without ever an apology....and now he is divorcing his wife, been aloof with his family and lives like an unbeliever......he claims that we "just need to forgive him". This angered me and I struggled with his self-centered and heartless, Godless response. The pain he has caused his family is overwhelming and he shares that he "just wants to be happy".

The subject of forgiveness has come up numerous times in this situation and though I love this person and I desire God's best for him, I couldn't say that I forgave him. Why? Because he hasn't confessed and repented. He hasn't changed his lifestyle or admitted wrong or apologized for the pain he's caused and selfishness he has demonstrated. And this weekend, I discovered that unforgiveness is not without merit and is actually Biblical. Let me explain......

Gary Chapman taught on the fact that God, Himself, does not forgive people who do not confess and repent. Take a look at 1 John 1:9 - "if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." The key word here is IF.

God is our example and we are made in His image.....we are to model our lives according to His statutes. We cannot forgive better than God...we aren't capable of forgiving anyone without Him, so how can we expect to forgive someone when GOD HASN'T FORGIVEN THEM!? If they have not confessed and repented, then they are not forgiven.

But what about Christ? Didn't He come to save sinners...the ultimate act of forgiveness? YES! BUT only when they believe on the Lord Jesus Christ....what does that involve doing? Admitting you are a sinner and are in need of a Saviour....aka confessing and repenting...take a look at John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Proverbs 28:13. 2 Timothy 2:18-19 (and countless others)....all speak of confessing, repenting and being saved.

Even when Jesus was on the cross, He asked God, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34). This was not a command, but a desire....Jesus was saying that He desired for them to be forgiven and He was making a way so that IF man confesses, THEN God would forgive them and save them.

Now, does that mean we have a right to stay angry and become bitter and treat the person who wronged us with all the hatred we have in the world? NO! Matthew 18: 15-17 says,

5"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.'17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector."

Treat them like an unbeliever? That means we love them (Luke 6:35) and pray for them (Matthew 5:44), BUT we also guard ourselves from them and set up strong boundaries (2 Timothy 4:14-15). We do not allow anger to take root in us, either. Chapman shared that anger was never meant to take residence in our hearts, but just to be a visitor. It is only when we invite anger to LIVE in us that it becomes bitterness and hatred. But when we treat the wounding unbeliever with love and prayer, it is the Holy Spirit who removes the anger and replaces it with compassion.....NOT forgiveness....THAT only comes when the person confesses and repents and the sweetness of reconciliation can take place.

We are required to forgive when asked to (Matthew 6:14-15...that;s the hard part!), but until we are asked, we cannot. Look at the many examples in the old AND new testaments where a person was wrong, hurt others and needed to repent. Forgiveness is not a right, but an act of grace....an act of God. We cannot forgive without Him, so when He forgives, I want to act in forgiveness.

Still processing all of this.....any comments? What a challenge~be blessed!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Bible study. That will "preach"!!!

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry,Bethany, but I don't agree. Read Matthew 6 again.

14 For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

I don't see any wiggle room here. We are always called to forgive. The Lord is gracious and compassionate. His grace is always sufficient to help us forgive. If we do not forgive others, He will not forgive us. I read it in every version I could. It says He will not. By choosing not to forgive we allow that root of bitterness to grow, which will defile not only ourselves but others.
Heb 12:14 Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. 15 See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.
How can I be at peace or be holy if I have unforgiveness in me?
How can I love with the pure love of Jesus if I have a "yeah but" in my heart? If I think they owe me something (confession and repentance) my love is tainted. That doesn't mean I'm not wrestling; Jesus talked about forgiving 70 times 7 because He knew we would have to walk that out!

Rom 5:8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

It is true that we cannot receive forgiveness from God until we have confessed and repented to Him. But if we teach a message that we can withold forgiveness from others until they repent, it destroys the very message of the cross.

When people either don't know God or choose to wander from Him they are under the lies of our enemy; of course their actions are going to be self-centered and ungodly. We must repeat Jesus prayer asking "Father forgive them." I must pray for God's mercy for them, not "God pay them back". That doesn't mean they won't suffer because of their choices, but their future belongs to God, not to me. If I waited for repentance from every person who wronged me before I forgave them, I would be carrying a huge weight of "you owe me" around. The very message of the cross is to give others the gift they don't deserve, release them to God and set yourself free from that weight.

As my mum said to me this week after being deeply hurt by someone, "If we only forgave when it was easy, it wouldn't be worth very much."

So I encourage you, dear Bethany, to go back to those scriptures again. I know God's grace is sufficient for you to walk in forgiveness. This is the mind of Christ (a mindset?) and it will bring you His freedom. It doesn't mean that the other person didn't hurt you, or that what they did is right. It's just that we don't get to judge.
One of the reasons I know I must walk in forgiveness is
Matt 7:1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

I don't live such a perfect life that I can afford to invite judgement, either from God or from people. If people are judged to be owing me confession and repentance, then I must be judged for owing others the same, whether I am aware of it or not. I'd rather invite Christ's love, compassion and forgiveness to be what I use and what is measured back to me. That doesn't mean I always succeed, but I want to be like Jesus, so this is my prayer.

Gal 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

Thanks that I can be real with you (=I AM blessed). I love you loads. Lets keep the discussion going. Anyone else with thoughts on this subject?

Bless you, Mum Stewart

9:56 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Good word....but I think we've missed the point...the point is not that we harbor bitterness or "they owe me" over them, but we LOVE them and have forbearance and grace towards them...I think you can do this without having the dialogue of forgiveness with them. Especially if they don't want it. AND I don't think that's making a judgement over them....their actions do that for themselves. Just like my actions are judged by the word of God. We don't need to judge...God does that. I think we always have to be WILLING (that's the hard part) to forgive when asked. But you cannot say to them "I forgive you" if they do not desire forgiveness. It cheapens it. Either way, forgiveness is hard and reconciliation is harder. I will read more...I am still processing all of this and I don't know how much of it I agree with...but ultimately, I think it comes down to Hebrews 12:14-15, like you wrote. Sometimes peace comes at a heavy price.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly your making a choice not to forgive, phrased nicely yes, but the post is a clear choice to not forgive, and so I pose a question to you. Who does that choice help? Are you helping yourself by making this choice? Are you helping this person? Can you honestly not forgive and still love? I am not sure if anyone can, but maybe. Just some thoughts.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

To the anonymous writer...I wouldn't say that I haven't forgiven the person or that it is even "clear" that I haven't. I don't think you can make that call...however, I am hosting a dialogue...posing a question, seeking truth as there is teaching on both sides of the fence. If truth be told, I have forgiven the person and I think the person sees and knows how much I love them.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home